Sunday, February 6, 2011

"A magic far beyond all we do here!"


I decided last week that I really needed to update my running playlist because I was really dragging on my runs.

When I was able to run outside, I liked to listen to something, but I wasn't as picky about it. I could listen to podcasts or audiobooks, my favorite being the Harry Potter series, of course. I once listened to Judy Blume's Blubber and became nostalgic for a couple hours, because I had enough visual stimuli to keep me occupied.

Unfortunately, with this crummy weather, I've been forced onto a dreadmill at the gym. Even more annoying, the ridiculous amount of money we spend on our membership at NYHRC apparently does not include working ipod connections, so I can't watch my usual Golden Girls episodes or fun Disney Films. I'm usually forced to listen to music, in an attempt to distract myself.

I found that I'm far more open-minded when it comes to running music. I really just need a good beat. Bands and singers (see: Avril "I try too hard" Lavigne and Gwen "I use japanese women as accessories" Stefani) that I wouldn't necessarily listen to on a normal day, have made prime spots in my running playlist.

In fact, now that I've heard some of these songs several times and figured out what they are actually saying, I'm pretty disturbed. This, however, does not mean they are no longer on my playlist.

So here is one of my most recent ones. I just switched a couple things around, but it's pretty much what I ran to during the Gridiron race today:



As you can see, I have varied tastes in music and I really have no shame. It goes from Andrew Lloyd Webber to Lords of the Underground, to Depeche Mode, to Lady GaGa, to the Beatles and Weird Al Yankovic....etc etc etc

Btw, you will notice a band called Reign of Kindo on there and if you are unfamiliar, it's my cousin Joe's band and they're awesome! They have a jazzy rock thing going on. Check them out!

Anyway, I would LOVE to see what's on your workout playlist, so don't be shy! I am always looking to add something new to mine.